Last night I was reading Adam's post about taking an unplanned rest day, and I kind of giggled to myself. I realize I am not nearly as hard core as a lot of runners, but a rest day rarely bothers me, even in the middle of marathon training. As a matter of fact, I am at the tail end of what has been an unplanned rest WEEK.
After the race on Saturday, I bent over to get a pan out of the oven (Julia is obsessed with shrinky dinks at the moment) and I couldn't stand up. My lower back was in total spasm. Ouch. This hasn't happened in a long time. But the last time it DID happen, it scared the shit out of me so much that I babied it like crazy the rest of the weekend. It actually felt a ton better already on Sunday, but I wasn't taking any chances, so no running earlier this week.
On Wednesday night at strength class, it was still sore, so I took it easy on the weights and skipped out on a couple moves that my back didn't like. Yesterday, the day got away from me. And today, James is off school. Which brings us to a week with no running.
But you know what? I am 100% cool with it (except for ITCHING to run because today looks PERFECT outside). Maybe it's because after tomorrow (when I will run Adam's virtual Freeze Your Thorns Off 5k) I will have run more miles in January than I did last year in November, December and January COMBINED. Maybe it's because marathon training starts again in 2 short weeks.
Maybe it's because I'm LAZY.
In any case, the break has been kind of nice. And my house is happy because of it....
breaks are great & needed even when they come at not awesome times [meaning unexpected]
ReplyDeleteyou're awesome.
Enjoy the SYTO 5k!!
I am running tomorrow's 5k too. I am combining it with my Team Gaby one too ;)
ReplyDeleteWe all need a break now and then! I think it speaks volumes that you can take one and not feel guilty about it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I have lots of unplanned rest days. I have a way better non-running streak than running streak, too. :) I'm ok with that, but I guess that's why I'm hoping to achieve a 4:30 marathon someday instead of breaking 3:15 like Adam. :) And I'm ok with that, too.
ReplyDeleteHope the back STAYS better!
I just found you , but I completely agree. I'm so not hard core. I won't be training for my first marathon till the spring, but I know even during that training I'll be so chillaxed ;) I don't run through sickness, don't run if I'd rather bike. I know I like it so I'm never worried....maybe I'm weird.
ReplyDeleteYou are smart to layoff if your pack's playing games.
ReplyDeleteIt is glorious out there today though. Glorious!
We all need breaks, and sometimes if we don't remember to take them, our body reminds us. You have a great attitude about it!
ReplyDeleteI've had almost 3 weeks without running - meh, it's life - it happens.
ReplyDeleteEek your back . . . take care of yourself!
Oh my gosh. Are Shrinky Dinks making a comeback?!
ReplyDeleteI think a rest week is a great idea. And I cannot believe you start marathon training so soon. CRAZY!!!
My mileage is WAY down over the past 2 weeks due to a shin splint (I think). I went out for a super slow 5 miles today and it feels ok. Not perfect but ok. It is hard for me to back off the mileage but I have some lofty spring plans so have to take the long view. But it can be hard sometimes.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I have been in the same boat as you this week, not running. I'm sure I COULD run but I just haven't because I haven't felt good and it hasn't bothered me that much. I'm hoping to get back out there tomorrow too! Loving the weather!
ReplyDeleteAhhh, the break will do your body well. Embrace it, enjoy it, and you'll come back even stronger! Hope you had a great 5k today! :)
ReplyDelete