Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekend Goodness

Well, the weekend turned out to be not so insane as I feared, which I was enormously thankful for...

Friday night, Jenna's team lost their first tournament game. It was a close one, but I was secretly a little glad, because it made my Saturday schedule so much easier - and Jenna's too, for that matter. We were up ridiculously early, and I had her dropped off at the local community college for her testing by 7:30. Gross.

Now, originally I had planned to join the running club for a group run in Sherry's honor. But Friday night, everyone who was my pace dropped out because it was supposed to be super windy and cold Saturday morning. *sigh* I THOUGHT that I could smash it in a bit later, but truthfully, that just never worked out. I was really really bummed, but life happens. Jenna's team ended up losing their afternoon game (my husband called it "street ball with horrible reffing") so we all went out to dinner at Red Robin.

Yes, for those paying attention I ate one of my favorite POST long run meals the night BEFORE my long run. *cue ominous foreshadowing music here*

Sunday morning, bright and early (again) I met up with Marcia for a long run on the March Madness Half Marathon course in Cary, IL.
stolen shamelessly from Marcia!
It was pretty effing cold to start out. But we also started with the wind at our backs, and we warmed up quickly. The sun was bright, and we both remarked that this winter (this AMAZINGLY MILD winter) has made us soft. The early miles ticked off easily, mostly because they were pretty downhill.

this course is no joke, and we missed a chunk of it...

It was really nice chatting about all things running and blogging, and I thoroughly enjoyed her company. We made a SUAR stop, we saw a bunch of deer that just stared at us. We ran some hills.

And the first of the hills I handled pretty well. As a matter of fact, I was feeling pretty good as we passed a couple runners who stopped to walk it. But soon, they sucked the life out of me. I'm not used to hills like that (guess that means I should head over there more often, huh?) and my unfortunate dinner choice decided to mock me for my complacence between miles 8 and 9. Oh well. As I said then, at least I GET to run. It seemed rather fitting that it was a tough one during Sherry's run. I was due for one like that, if for nothing else than to remind me that I NEED to pay attention to my diet more than I have lately.

It's been wonderful and overwhelming reading everyone's Sherry tributes. I feel honored to be a small part of something so huge even if the reason is so tragic. I wish us all her courage and strength and grace.

10 comments:

  1. So proud of you! Give Jenna a hug for me, sorry she lost her game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I've paid for some of my food choices the next day on runs lately, too. You'd think by now I'd know better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cry. All I can do is be totally jealous that you and Marci ran together without me. I wanna make it a threesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool to meet up with another blogger! I haven't met anyone yet. This weekend, I'm going to meet two though. Pretty cool.

    The MN race I was referring to is found here:
    http://chesterwoodstrailrun.blogspot.com/
    I'm doing the 50K. Interested?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could I have left out the SUAR stop from my post? Ha! Nothing like scrambling in the bushes.
    It was SO fun, despite the ornery course and weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for toughing it out, stomach issues and all!

    This winter has been good. Like really good. So I think we are all a little soft. But I'll take it over blizzard weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started hearing about the run for Sherry late last week. I think it shows the amazing power of the internet to support each other. If only we could push that mentality to the rest of the world around us. Nice job on your run, even if it was tough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always feel good on hills when I start too, then eventually they get the best of me! Ugh.

    I am happy you and Marcia got to do this run together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stomach issues are the worst - ugh. Good for you for toughing it out and getting that roller coaster run done! So fun you got to hang with Marcia! :)

    ReplyDelete