Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thoughts and the Aftermath

Well, my planned recovery run (5 miles) didn't happen this morning. I got out there, but my knee was way too sore, so I took today off. I'm going to ice it, and hope that it's back in no time.

A couple things on my mind since Sunday...

1. I was damn near delirious after the race. But I was ignoring how ucky I was feeling until later. I am certain this was because I didn't eat enough during the race. I had a second GU that I should have taken about mile 11, but I was paranoid about messing up my stomach. Mistake. I also didn't eat anything after except for the awesome popsicle. Another mistake.

2. John did bring me chocolate milk after. Awesome!

3. I was really sad that my kids (the whiny bunch that they are) didn't stick out the race. I learned later that John sent them back to his coworkers when I only had 20 minutes to go. I may or may not have let my older 2 have it a bit about that. I probably should feel bad about making them feel guilty, but I can't say that I really do. In reality, I don't think that John knew how important it was to me (and it was on HIM not the kids to "suck it up, buttercup") - I can definitely say that it won't happen again. ;)

4. I like Cytomax. It was very nice to me.

5. Yurbuds are the awesomest thing EVAH. I didn't touch them ONCE the entire 3 hours I had 'em in. Not ONCE.

6. After a crappy 90 minute car ride home, an ice bath would have been a much better idea than a nap. But the nap won, and I am still paying for it. But it was a damn good nap.

7. Who's brilliant idea was it to have the GU station at mile 11.5? My one complaint about the race logistics...

8. I am going to lose a toenail soon. Boo. It's really sore right now.

9. I would TOTALLY do this race again!

10. When I grow up (as a runner), I wanna be one of those who can rock a half, and then be out there the next day like it was no huge deal. I'm not there yet. Maybe next year.

11. This race has really made me respect the distance of a full marathon. I'm not 100% sure that I can realistically conquer 26.2. I have a lot of work to do...

10 comments:

  1. Hi Bobbi - certainly not too late for distance dreamers. Which marathon are you planning on and what is the date? I'll add you to the spreadsheet...you can e-mail me at highermiles @ gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my yurbuds too--they are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll be running for a few more days don't worry. I have quite the waddle going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rest up! I always need a couple days after the 1/2 to recover. Plus, I always thought I could never run the full especially while running 1/2 marathons. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nos. 4, 5 and 7: Could not agree more!

    Nos. 10 and 11: You will totally get there if you want to! Keep telling yourself you can because it's TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on the half! that is awesome.

    Just stopping over to say hello. found ur blog thru Higher Miles and the Distance Dreamers club!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After race high is the best! and chocolate milk always tastes heavenly after a lot of miles.

    My kids are often not there at the finish line but I remind myself that I am running for me. Yeah the example I set is for their benefit too but I really run for all the things I get out of it. I am happy when the fam is there the times it works out!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. I can used all the positive thoughts/prayers I can get today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take some time off and give that knee a break. My knees always hurt after races. And if it's any consolation, whenever I do a long run, I always say to myself: "There's no way I can run 26.2 after the way I felt today." But somehow....

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I just read your race report and it had everything in it that I wrote or though about writing in mine!! So funny. We too, ate at Flat Top grill (amazing), I also bought a new bondi band...I wish I would have met you previously, we could have met up! Hilarious! Those tunnels totally sucked pond water, and I was not only a super fan of the ice towels, but the sponges as well! Look forward to following you along your journey to your first marathon!

    ReplyDelete