Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Exhale

I've been crazy MIA - I apologize for that. But the end of August does it to me EVERY SINGLE YEAR. And this year was no different. But as we speak, the kids are back at school. HALLELUJAH! So now I can breathe again...

As soon as the kids' birthday party was done, we were full on into back to school prep, including kindergarten screening, meet and greet night with the teachers, supply purchasing and organizing and labeling, and volleyball practice started for my oldest. Throw in a birthday at Great America and another 2 birthday parties, and you have the recipe for chaos. But when all was said and done, everything was lovely and went smoothly.

Yesterday, Julia started kindergarten. And I didn't think I would, but I shed a few tears (not sure why I expected the 3rd time around to be different, but I did). SHE did great, and was excited to go back today when the rest of the school joined her.

SO....now it's REALLY quiet in here, and I'm loving it....

Where were we before my life got in my way?? Oh yes - the leg! I went in to a kinesiotherapist on the recommendation of my doctor. It was a lot of massage with a total body approach to my problem, which I liked. He determined that my hips were all out of whack, so much that my left leg was sitting a good half an inch shorter than my right, and consequently was taking a lot of extra pounding. This in turn lead to the soreness in my left quad. I did feel much better after he was through with me, and I've run a couple times and seen him once more.

But the truth is, I'm still really sore. I ran 2.5 on Sunday and felt it like crazy yesterday. I've been icing a ton, which seems to help. But will I be ready for a marathon? I've missed 2 key long runs already. So I don't know.

Am I giving up? HELL NO. But, honestly, I'm at peace with however this goes. I need to get better and stronger. I NEED to work on my core. I'm going to continue to work out and to work towards this giant goal. But if I don't make it? I'll just do a different one. The marathon wasn't the end for me - honestly, I feel like I have already won! I did a half! I got myself back in shape! I made exercise a priority in my life!

Even if I don't run it, I feel like my entry fee was money well spent.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great attitude on the running! Like you said, either way the marathon wasn't the end and still something you can reach towards even if this particular one doesn't happen! Still hoping the runs start to feel better for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great attitidue and that will take you far! Whether you get this one in or not, there will always be another one.
    Love the school pic! Adorable kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in! Now go do your core!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing a lot of core work lately and can really notice a difference with my cardio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbi-
    You can do it. Last year at this time I tore the IT band in my right knee. I never finished the training, but lots and lots of cross training. I figured, I paid the entry fee I my as well go and see how far I can make it. My only goal last year was to finish within the 6.5 hour time limit. I sooooooo know how you feel- but if the marathon is something that you really want to do, see what cardio workouts and core workouts you can do; let you hip rest and go from there.

    Your kids are adorable.

    I wish you the best of luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great attitude to have about it. I hope you are better and I hope you can, but there is always another one some day if you miss this one, right?

    Your kids are adorable! Isn't the beginning of the school year stressful? I always feel like I am more busy filling out papers etc. than they are at the beginning of the school year.

    ReplyDelete