Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Drama Queen

Wow! I sounded like my 12 year old daughter in that last post - all whiny and pouting and woe is me.

I'm still not running (yet). But after reading all your lovely comments and really taking a good hard look at it, I'm surprisingly ok with that.

This training cycle (which, for the record, I wrote in FEBRUARY), I really ramped up the miles. I figured, why not? I am already used to it - I ran a spring marathon right? Why NOT increase things?

I guess my body didn't like that so much.

In every one of my marathon training cycles so far, my body has rebelled at some point, forcing me to step it WAY back for a bit. Instead of getting (too) pissed off and training through pain, I've chosen to listen to it every time it's spoken. If that means a week off mid-training, so be it.

The upside to this is that I've yet to suffer a real game changing injury.

So I guess I'm doing something right...

(for the record, I'll be heading out either tonight or tomorrow. thanks again for all your lovely comments. beers were definitely had, although not a whole lot of rest. more like staining and varnishing and base moulding installation and ceiling tile. carpet and laminate are being installed at the end of the week. THEN I can rest!)

6 comments:

  1. Bobbi: just remember to keep listening to your body. You know the difference between "I don't wanna run" and "Really--leave me alone!".

    I found out for myself that after running so many races, I felt like I could just whip one out without trying. Wrong! That is what got me injured. So now I just concentrate on running every week, and enjoying it. And not being in any races has helped keep me from putting pressure on myself to keep pushing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're in a better place now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll be fine - it just sounds like you need a break.

    with beer of course. ;-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your body is telling you that you need a rest!

    And I think you should probably not try to do 22 on Sunday. What do you think? Do you just want to do the race together so you can take it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good you sound better! And woot for F2B! Thrilled to see you girls again.
    Ive always been a little embarrassed that I'm such a low mileage runner but whenever I try to increase, I too am injured. As they say, if it aint broke...

    ReplyDelete