Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Overwhelmingly Thankful (and Clear Water Outdoor 10k Turkey Trot "Race" Report)


I am thankful for good friends.

Kim, Tori and I did this 10k on Saturday (go read their race reports too!). It was a beautiful crisp Fall morning, albeit rather chilly. I spent too much time trying to figure out exactly what to wear (it was about 30 degrees when I left my house that morning) but still manage to meet up with everyone on time for the drive to Lake Geneva, WI.

We picked up out packets and got our bibs pinned on (even though Tori and I would have left them in the car without Kim's gentle reminder) and posed for a picture with the Turkey. Once we started, the temperature felt perfect and we were running conservatively and chatting. Since this was Tori's first run since July (!!) we were letting her set the pace.

It quickly became clear that Tori's KNEE was not at all happy to be running again, so we ended up having a lovely walk together, gabbing about all the things you just can't gab about to the people in your everyday life. It was so perfect! And so nice to get along with someone you just met for the first time as well as you'd gotten along online.

We finally made it to the finish (only 10 minutes after they took it down, lol) to see some really cute kids waiting for us. I said, "awwww, they were waiting for us, how sweet!" and Tori and Kim nodded in agreement. Then Tori did a double take and said, "HEY! Those are MY kids!" Her whole family had come out to surprise her!

We got a blue spruce seedling to take home. It was a great day!


I am thankful for my kids. They are off from school all week and completely messing up my routine, but it's really nice to have them home. We get to go to conferences at school tonight, and hopefully their teachers will think as highly of them as I do.

I am thankful for my husband. He let me be a lump for the better part of the weekend (I'm still getting over the crud) even though HE is still getting over the crud too. He did all my complicated grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner, without missing a single thing. AND he finished hanging drywall in the basement. He rules!

I am thankful for Thanksgiving. It is my favorite no frills holiday, requiring no presents or decorations, just family and a nice meal. I'm going to run a 10k Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning, and hopefully it'll take the edge off my stress - I usually get really overwhelmed the morning of ANY big event. I'm praying that running will help me out with this. Especially since I am way behind because of the crud - which only means I'm EXTRA overwhelmed right now.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful comments about the Turkey Trot! We are glad you had a great time and we hope to see you next year. - Laura Luksich, Race Director

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice that you all stuck together to the finish and had cheerleaders waiting for you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture of the turkey costume! :) What a nice way to spend time with friends and it sounds like you are a lucky woman wirh lots to be thankful for :) Have a great Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobbi! I am so sorry it has taken me THIS long to get to your race report. I am embarrassingly behind :(

    I had so much fun that day with you and Tori. It was so nice and relaxing and... therapeutic! We have to do it again someday! :)

    ReplyDelete