Wednesday, May 18, 2011

That Was FUN!

Speedwork = SUCCESS! And it was way more fun than I expected. I kind of dreaded going around and around a track for that long, but lots of club runners showed up, and breaking up the distance made it go by super fast.

We'd all emailed the organizer letting him know PRs and average paces for different distances, and from that information, he assigned the workout. We were all doing 8X400 with a 200 recovery between each. I was aiming for 2:15 per 400 (or a 9 minute mile pace). I did a 1.75 mile warm up, and then we got started.

Right off the bat, I was going TOO FREAKING FAST. It was funny, since I wasn't sure I could GO that fast - I was actually nervous about holding a 9 minute pace for 400 - and here I look down to see a pace starting with 7?!? Reign it in, kid! I also screwed up my garmin to start, so my first 400 got lumped in to my warm up. But after that, I got it all figured out...


I ended up just hitting the lap button (without turning off autolap or anything) at the start of each 400 and 200. It was less complicated than I thought it would be.

I pretty much NAILED this workout! And I discovered that I am faster than I think I am. I walked the first half of each recovery, and jogged the rest, and it felt comfortably hard. I think I could have done them faster (!!!) which made me smile big.

The club does this every week all through the summer. I am really looking forward to more!

16 comments:

  1. Bobbi--I have yet to do any work on a track. My goal is next week to find one and try out something similar to what you're doing. Good job! It looks like you're improving your speed every month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, sounds like a confidence boosting workout. I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Glad the lap button worked fine, Garmin-wise.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...I need help with how you did that on the GArmin. Did you reset everytime? I'm so bad at understanding all that I wish I had a runners club around me that does speedwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, this is AWESOME! Your first speedwork and you bust out EIGHT 400s! And with an awesome pace, at that! I've only ever managed 6 x 400 @ 8:49 pace on a treadmill. I've wondered if I would do them any better (or worse) on an actual track...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!! I love/hate speed work - looks like you killed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds great! I hate speedwork too, but it sounds better if others are there too! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! Speed work will eventually make you a faster distance runner, so enjoying it means that new PBs are in the making.
    Good luck with future speed workouts!
    -------------------------------------
    Marathon speed training

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice!! Now I'll have to give it a whirl...I think it would help if there were more people there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am following Runner's World Smart Coach to train for Grandma's Marathon. Today was speedwork 6 miles total with 4X1600's. I need to start early (0500) so I do mine on the treadmill at the gym. I think that your time is awsome. I always feel so good after Speed and interval workouts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a feeling you would love speedwork! Awesome job! I can't wait to join you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't know how happy I am to read this! You are so much faster than you think! Glad you're finding that out. : D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah! Way to push yourself! 400 repeats are my favorite and they will totally improve your speed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. does that 3rd lap say 6:45. wwhhhaaattt? go girlie go!

    ReplyDelete