1. I ran 6 miles on Tuesday. It was my 5th day in a row of running, and in those 5 days I put close to 30 miles on my legs. For a lot of you, that's not a huge deal, but for this old lady/newish runner, that's not necessarily a good thing. And my legs let me know it. About half way in, my wonky right leg started acting up again. The funny thing is, it was never painful. Rather, it kept feeling like it was going to give out on me. So I dialed the pace way back, and vowed to take a couple days off. I finished the run with no issues (other than getting attacked by a puppy who escaped from his house, while his owner kept trying to wrangle him back to her) and I still wasn't in pain later.
2. After much doctor googling, I am fairly certain that I have the beginning of shin splints on that side. I gathered up some strengthening exercises, and I busted out my new shoes. (I am still running on my marathon shoes - BAD! As a heavier runner, I should have retired them a while ago. I put my new shoes on and was AMAZED at the difference I felt!) I'm not sure why the shoe thing never occurred to me before now. I blame it on my kids - they steal brain cells, I swear! I'm hoping that between the shoes and the exercises that I'll have this licked in no time. I have 10 on the schedule this weekend, but that will only happen if I feel NOT A TWINGE from my leg. I'm taking this very cautiously...that means no running today even though it is STUNNING out there.
3. Completely unrelated - I'm wondering how you bloggers get hooked up with reviewing great stuff and doing giveaways. Do you contact companies? Do they contact you? I've been curious about this for a while now - I'd be totally down with doing that, but I have no clue where to start.
Bobbi, I am saying this because I care about you - be careful! While I think it's awesome you ran so many days in a row and hit such a high mileage, I am worried about you! I want you to be healthy and strong for your big PR at Grandma's! :)
ReplyDeleteI have been keeping track of my shoe mileage on a sidebar on my blog. That really helps me remember to get new ones. I am happy they are helping and hope you feel well enough for the 10!
I have contacted a lot of companies for giveaways. But some contact me - like CSN, and Sony. Reach out to your fave companies and see what they say! Or, purchase your own things to give away! I do that quite often too.
Awwww, Kim, I am so PARANOID that you don't need to worry too much (I actually spent Tuesday night re-reading your archives before you got diagnosed with all your stress fractures because I was worried about my stupid leg). I am going to be SO careful - I do NOT want injury to take me out of the game. If it doesn't clear outta here soon, I'll be calling you for your sports doc's info...
ReplyDelete30 miles in 5 days ... straight - you go, girl!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing what new shoes do! I was having foot pains until the new ones arrived.
I'm curious about #3 too. I've seen a lot of bloggers post that they were contacted by a company called Outside PR. The one and only giveaway I've done was for Sweaty Bands. I actually initiated that one. When I placed an order through their web site, in the comments section I mentioned that I had a running blog and to holler if they ever wanted me to host a giveaway. And they did.
ReplyDeleteI have always said that every kid I had took some of my brain cells with them. And it's always common sense kind of stuff that should seem obvious that I seem to forget/not notice. Just like you with your shoes. I guess we have bigger things on our minds so the details slip by now.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for being responsible about this. Be careful because if you let things slide like I did and just think it will be fine to keep pushing it, you end up out longer than if you just took the break you needed...even when it feels like torture to not run in the beautiful weather.
shin splints can be because of overuse to. I had them last year, it was part of my injury list. So becareful with them!
ReplyDeleteand kids do suck the brain cells out of you. I am getting tested for ADD & ADHD next week because I think i've lost it completely!
About reviews, some have contacted me while I've contacted others. I'll be having a few in the next couple of weeks thanks to a few companies. Though I would like OUTSIDE PR to contact me!! lol
Aww, you are so sweet to read my rambles about my stress fractures! I bet it isn't that and that you won't need the #. Just a few days off :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you at the clinic on Thurs! (P.S. I told Lupe you were coming and she said she has been seeing all of your FB posts and how well you've been doing!)
Be careful putting on to many miles on to soon. For me I know you are suppose to run so many miles, plus a long run a week. When I was training for my marathon I got to busy to put all the miles during the week. But I made sure I did get all my long runs in. Now my running partner was able to get all the running in during the week, plus the long runs and she ended up having some knee issues. So she backed off all the miles during the week, but keep all the long in. Her knee was good for the marathon.
ReplyDeleteI always wondered about the review thing too!
ReplyDeleteBe careful, listen to your body. Good for you for taking a couple days off. :)
5 days in a row is a lot, and is likely what's causing the shin splits. Take a day or two off!
ReplyDeleteI've only reviewed things when companies have contacted me (which is likely why I seldom review). Now that I'm not talking about running as much, I don't get very many contacts at all, but am too lazy/busy to care. :)
It's amazing how often having worn out shoes cause injuries. When I feel an injury coming on, the first thing I do is get new shoes. Nine times out of ten, it works! Hope your leg continues to feel better!
ReplyDelete