Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Five

1. I can't decide which is worse as a runner - missing a run while it's gorgeous outside because your kid is sick, or missing a run in the same weather when it's YOU who feels like shit. Tuesday it was the former. Wednesday, the latter. Both were equal amounts of suck. Mostly because I was NOT running.

2. Thursday, I had one of those runs that always seems to come on the heels of a couple of really good weeks. One of those, "No, freak, you are NOT Kara Goucher and you'd better rein it in before you hurt yourself dumbass!" kind of runs. The ones where I try to talk myself into cutting it short for a good 2 miles while my legs propel me farther and farther away from my house so I at least have to run that far again to get home. It didn't help that it was SO windy that I felt like I was huffing and puffing but not MOVING at all. The copious amounts of potato chips and onion dip I ate the night before MIGHT have had something to do with that. Maybe.

3. My shin is still weird sore, but I think it's something I can run off. It's feeling much better than it was - an impromptu 3 days of rest in a row probably didn't hurt.

4. It's been really hard for me to be a racing addict (I'd do one every week if I could) on a budget that is RESTRICTING my ABILITY dammit. I spend entirely too much time finding fantastic races that I can't afford to do. Part of this is because I am terrified to do a really long run solo, and races are like conveniently supported training runs for me. I'm hoping that the running club can help on this front, because I cannot afford to pay $50+ for each long run I need to do this year. Not and remain married anyhow...

5. Thursday is the LAST DAY OF BASKETBALL HALLE-FREAKING-LUJAH!!! I am ready to resume some semblance of normalcy around here. And maybe even actually RUN with the running club. Imagine! But first I get to deal with 3 days of conference tournaments without a husband to help me. Nice of him to schedule an elective work seminar so conveniently, no? Trust me, much whining will ensue. After I make him feel just a LITTLE more guilty about it all.

Have a great weekend!!!

9 comments:

  1. There's a few 20 miler's that less expensive. eh. I was thinking the 20 miler in busse woods in Sept is $45 http://www.20miler.com/ it's run as a training run for Chicago.

    Do you have any groups you can join that support long runs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh... being sick sucks.

    I hear you on the races. You should see my race bucket list. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobbi, you are still doing a great job running every week. It's hard to run when you feel like crap! And sometimes runs just aren't that great. I figure they pop up every once in awhile to remind me how good the great ones feel :)

    I completely agree about race fees. They are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Bobbi ~ you're the funniest blogger I've read all day. No seriously, you TOTALLY CrACK ME UP. The whole 5 was awesome... gosh... my kids are staring at me while I'm chuckling here...

    The best line for me today? "equal amounts of suck." And in that ratio of suck:suck:suck ~ you know what else sucks equally? It's knowing ALL your friends are out running the beautiful weather while you're walking around your house in a boot, "with a peg leg". Thanks for making me laugh girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you haven't had the best running week. I hope next week is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud my dear! I agree on the running thing. My husband seems to think I spend too much money on races. Whatevs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is your shin feeling today?

    I hope you can do more stuff with the club soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friends and I started a "Recession Running Club," where we'd do weekly runs for freeeeeeeeee instead of paying for them, because yeah, it gets expensive.

    The only downside is, when it's just some friends getting together, there's no real incentive for people to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel for you on the sick kids and on the not feeling good. They don't sleep, then I am too tired to run, then I get sick (because I snuggle them) and then I can't run because I am sick.

    And people say running is free they have no idea how easy it is to lots of money on races, running gear and traveling to races.

    ReplyDelete