It took me 30 seconds to actually figure out it's Tuesday. That's what summer vacation does to me.
So it's taper time. This is the time when a lot of runners go a little crazy. I admit, I have succumbed to the madness in the past. But instead, I am all zen lately.
Except when my daughter coughs. And coughs. And coughs until MY HEAD EXPLODES AND I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE and then she pukes all over the bathroom. OVER the toilet. Not IN it.
Wait. Where were we? Oh yes.
Zen.
Somewhere in the last couple weeks, I realized that I am 100% capable of the marathon that I want. My legs will go as fast as I want them to for as long as I want them to go.
BUT. I have to KEEP wanting them to, for the WHOLE race.
Rocket science, I know. I am a rockstar genius.
But while it seems really really obvious, putting that into practice is much more tricky.
So I've been coming up with ideas to help me along. Making plans to remind myself at mile 19 when I can't seem to THINK anymore. Little strategies that I hope will make a big difference.
I WILL NOT WIMP OUT THIS TIME.
My taper is a little unorthodox. I'm running a half marathon this weekend. FOR FUN, I promise. NO racing whatsoever.
But it's gonna be good. I can taste it.
(thanks for all your comments regarding my health. my appointment is Thursday afternoon, after which I will have results and I will share them with you, I promise...)
Ah yes, the taper tussle. Sigh. Hope the half marathon and other unorthodox strategies work for you this time. Distance running really is a big mental game!!
ReplyDeleteZen is a good place to be. Good luck with your upcoming races ... and the taper, of course.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I am sorry your daughter is still sick :(
ReplyDeleteHaving that plan for when you hit the mentally tough part of the race is going to help so much! Can't wait to hear about your awesome race! And how your appointment goes on Thursday :)
I'll be thinking about you Saturday. You just don't know how bad I wish I could have been there!
ReplyDeleteEEEk, I hope she is still sick...give her hugs...
ReplyDeleteAnd hopefully we can cross the line together again this Saturday...yeah, high of an expected 90. Mother nature hates me. LOL...
You will kick butt. Major butt.
ReplyDeleteSorry your family is stressing you out still. I hope things calm down once everyone is healthy again.
I love your attitude!!! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd you rock, don't forget that.
Health appointment?! I had to go back and read.....sending positive thoughts for Thursday!!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was fun chatting with you and I am soooooooo excited to see you in Duluth!
Good luck on your half this weekend!
I ran Grandma's last year. Nice course, but my only memory is being so cold at the end. Being from Louisiana - I do not like to be cold. So, I will probably never run that race again.
ReplyDeleteI will be in MN in August to run the Women's Half Marathon in Bloomington. I am trying for a PR and my daughter will be running on her 30th birthday.
Hope the appointment tomorrow is all positive.
Good luck Bobbi. And you will ROCK it when you think you just can't. Remember you can do it--get that pissed off attitude when you need it and let it push you to the finish line. So proud of you.
ReplyDeleteQuick note from a fellow Minnesotan: If she's coughing till she barfs, have you considered whether this could be whooping cough? It can happen in kids who are vaccinated, too.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the race!!
You're such a pro that you don't need my very novice advice, but when I find myself having to run a half alone (i.e. not with one of my friends) - I have someone write quotes in sharpie on my forearm and they actually REALLY do make a HUGE difference in those moments when you want to quit or you don't think you can go any further. I usually have just above my watch so I'm looking at it frequently "I am awesome" and then on my right forearm I have these 4 quotes:
ReplyDelete-You are capable of more than you think!
-It only hurts to a point and then it doesn't hurt anymore
-Run Hard, be strong, think BIG
-All it takes is all you've got
Here's is the post with a picture -
http://mystorychapter2.blogspot.com/2011/08/chapter-2-page-408-getitin-motivated-to.html
I also think about ways to motivate myself to get through a boring or challenging part of the course like . . . eat a lifesaver, or get a new piece of gum, or something like that - knowing you have something (even if it's small) to look forward to helps a little.
You'll be GREAT!!!! I have no doubt you've done all the training and will show up to the starting line ready to OWN the marathon. In the hard times, remember why you put in so much effort and why you want it and you'll have an awesome 26.2 miles!!!
Good luck, girl!
I've been out of town and so out of the loop on the blogs, sorry about your health scare, I hope you get some good news at your appt.
ReplyDeleteI do halves right before a marathon, gives me the required distance for one, but also gives me some confidence if I run it slow and controlled. A mini glimpse into the race, so to speak. :) You're going to have a great time. And the marathon IS going to be good! I know it!
Tapering is a magic word. Good tapering good race! Good luck.
ReplyDelete