Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Goals For Grandma's

I've been thinking a lot about this.

This is the first marathon I will run for more than just a finish. This is the first marathon I'm planning on running at more than a long run pace.

This is the first marathon I will "race."

All that said, after looking at all my training, I am going to attempt a 4:20. I won't lie when I say that number scares the shit out of me. But I'm going to give it everything in me, and I think with a good day, I can do it.

I can do it.

I am quite confident that I can run a 4:40 right now at long run pace, based on my 20 milers.

Anything under 4:30 will make me happy.

But I am going for 4:20.

No matter what happens, I will not give up out there. I will not let one bastard asshole ruin my whole day. I will not mentally let myself off the hook at any point. I will push myself until my body, not my mind, has had enough.

My legs can totally do this.

So I will make my head do this too. I believe that I can. I believe it.

Here's to a great day controlling all the things I can control, responding positively to all the things outside of my control, and embracing the suck until I cross that finish line.

Here's to giving this everything I have.

Here's to finally believing it, for real.

See y'all on the other side...

(if anyone wants to stalk, I'm Bobbi Welch, bib 6560. Go here to get texts or emails.)

28 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK! You can do it.

    And regarding that asshat at the port-o-potties ... I hope he shit himself later :)

    Haters gonna hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that 4:20 is so achievable for you. You've done all the training and your body is ready for this race. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can totally do it! Push yourself but still have a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Bobbi! Keep that head in the game and enjoy the race! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your reward for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your goal sounds great! 4:20 sounds awesome, and you can do it! Enjoy the race...It's one that is on Hubby's and my to-do list, so I will be curious to hear how it goes. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck Bobbi. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited for you, and I totally think you're capable of this after watching you crush run after run. Cannot wait to hear how it goes, and I'm totally stalking you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. go get it, Bobbi!!!! I'm shooting for a 4:20 myself in the fall, but you get to go first!!!

    And it's not stalking to follow your "friends" from the blogosphere......one of the most amazing parts of my Boston experience was finding out later just how many people were following my progress online.....made me feel extra special!

    Here's wishing you the best day possible.......I'll be cheering all the way from Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Bobbi!! You have worked hard and had a good training cycle! I know you will kill it on Saturday and can't wait to hear about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rooting for you, girl! I know you have it in you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay!!! You are going to rock that race!!!! Can't wait to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can SO do this! Just stay focused, and remember that you have put in all the hours to achieve it. I will be cheering for you from here in Chicago!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely you can do it, no doubts whatsoever! I can't wait to hear the recap of how awesome your race went! I wish you the most fabulous race known to humankind. I'll be cheering for you from home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so much faith in you that you can pull this off!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got this Bobbi!! Just pace yourself in the beginning and then go for it towards the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's in you. Go get it. There's no suck you can't handle. I'll be stalking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Go Bobbi! I'm so excited for you! You can put your mind to pushing yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I CAN'T wait to hear how awesome you do this weekend! I am there with you in heart, and spirit...always remember, "wind beneath my wings" is our song...Love you lady. SO proud of all you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Consider writing a quote or two on your arm - seriously helpful!

    I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I know you know you can do this!!!! Remember that . . .when it gets hard. When you think taking the easier way out is preferable to digging deeper than you've been. Stay focused on the prize - the reward - the glory . . . not the pain, the heat, the hills, the assholes, the misery, the desire to just give up - remind yourself that you are worth this accomplishment and more importantly, you've done the work and are READY!

    You - You, Bobbie, you are going to show the world that YOU GOT THIS!!!

    4:20 - alright girl - go get it!!!!!

    Kick some grandmomma ass!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so excited for you to hit your goal. I believe in you!! Looking forward to seeing you again and hearing first-hand how you CRUSHED your PR!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck! You're going to kick ass!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can and YOU WILL, go get it girlfriend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best of luck - and I will check your progress. I hope that you have good weather. Last year was so cold at the end - but for those of us from Louisiana - anything under 60 is cold. cutting 40 minutes off of last year's time would be an awsome accomplishment!! But with your training you should be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the right spirit. You will do it!
    Good luck and ... run strong!

    ReplyDelete