Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Looking Back & Looking Ahead: 2012 Goals

One of my favorite things about blogging is going back and reading old posts. That said, I don't do it all that often. In marking off another year complete, I spent this morning reading about my 2011.

It was pretty epic.

Taking a look at the goals I set for myself a year ago:

1. 1000 miles - COMPLETE! I ran 1001.33 miles in 2011.

2. Lose 8 pounds  - COMPLETE! I lost 10 pounds in 2011.

3. Run a marathon in UNDER 6 hours - COMPLETE! I finished Grandma's marathon in 5:02:28.

4. Be a better, more organized housekeeper - FAIL! The basement project derailed this goal. I'll be revisiting it.

5. More one-on-one time with each of my kids - COMPLETE! I did really well at this in 2011.

6. More cross training - IN PROGRESS. I've gotten MUCH better about this, but it took until the very end of the year.

I ran PRs in every distance I raced this year. I gained significant speed over 2010. I gained stamina and endurance, and more importantly CONFIDENCE. I'm not sure I'll ever repeat the kind of personal transformation I made in 2011. I joined a running club and made some GREAT friends, which only added to the success of my running year.

I'm a little sad it's over, truthfully.

So what's ahead for me??

I will likely NOT be racing as much this year. We are in a financial spot that is less than ideal, and racing has to give a bit. I have three races on the schedule so far, and I don't see much more happening. But you never know.

The WI half holds my half mary PR and a special place in my heart. I loved this race and am excited to do it again. Grandma's marathon will be my "A" race this year. And unlike last year, I know so many people who are running it (including 2 from my running club!) and I am determined to break 5 hours. I'd really love to break 4:50, but we'll talk about specifics as it nears - sub 5 is non-negotiable.

As for Chicago, this race will NOT be about me. I'll be running with my sister, who is gunning for her first full marathon. I'm excited to accompany her on this journey.

So just a few things for 2012:

1. Run 1000 miles. (having a number holds me accountable and keeps me moving)

2. Run a sub-5 hour marathon.

3. Run a new half PR.

4. Continue strength training.

5. Reorganize and maintain a clean house. I will keep typing this until I can make it a habit. My kids are big enough. I'm out of excuses.

6. Support my sister to the best of my ability, even if it means kicking her ass a little. Run every single step of Chicago by her side (unless I can't keep up - she IS speedier than I am).

Here's to making 2012 every bit as epic as 2011 was. Bring it!

27 comments:

  1. You had a great year in 2011! I agree that the key to running is the confidence you gain by keeping at it and seeing yourself improve. I think the goals you set for 2012 are excellent and I can't wait to see how much more confidence you gain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job meeting so many of your goals! I think that spending more time with your kids is way moe awesome than being organized any day! Good luck with 2012

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on setting attainable, realistic goals. I can't wait to see what 2012 holds for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great year!!!! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did have an awesome year, and you did great on your goals. That housekeeping one still eludes me, too. :P

    How exciting that you get to share your sister's marathon journey with her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome year!!! I have no doubt with the way you kicked 2011 in the butt - 2012 will be more of the same for you! Good luck and best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I've been waiting for this post! You blasted your sub 6 marathon goal and your weightloss goal out of the water! I can't tell you how happy I am to see you do so well!
    Chicago? I may have to set up a cheer station this year. Gosh I hoe it's not sweltering hot again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your new goals, save #5. I am really wanting to do Grandma's again too. The flatness of it is so alluring! And way to stomp your time goals on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had the most kickass 2011! I am not sure if anyone improved as much as you! I am proud of you girlie!

    I love the WI Half. It seems most people from the club are doing IL this year! Funny - there was such a huge crowd last year.

    My BiL mentioned doing the Chicago marathon to me Sunday night, so I might be in... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I'm running Grandma's this year, too.

    Congrats on such a fantastic 2011 and best of luck in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Bobbi on accomplishing amazing things this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you on the money for races. They have gotten so expensive, that even if I wanted to run more, it would mean giving up something else.

    I think your goals are wonderful. If I could run 500 miles this year, I would be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for being my wingman this year...I am so very proud of your accomplishments and goals, and will be forever grateful and am so excited to do my first (and possibly last, lol) full marathon with you...xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic...last year and what this years looking like for you! How cool to be able to run with your sister! My best races have been about others...

    All the best for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's what I call a great year....so you didn't accomplish everything....so what! Focus on the positives and the unmet goals can roll forward into 2012. You really nailed your running goals and I have a feeling you're going to continue that positive trend this year. Can't wait to read all about it! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had an awesome year..woohoo!!! I think your goals for 2012 are great, and I love how one of them is to support your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're going to rock this year, Bobbi!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Since I'm pretty new to reading your blog I just have to stop to say your 2012 marathon goal was a sub 6 and you did a 5:02?????? OMG girl - that's awesome!!!!
    I too had an epic 2011 and am sad to turn the page to 2012. Oh well, here we are on 1/4/12 so I guess we can only look ahead.
    I too am doing less racing this year for money reasons (and time). I hope your races are awesome and thrilling and that you get your goals and so much more!!!
    Good luck in 2012 - I'm happy to be a reader and fan of your blog and will be cheering you on along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in a huge financial pickle right now, too, but thankfully got a little gig with the local running company to pick up some races. Also found that if I email the race director and ask if I can volunteer - or plug the race on my blog - I can work out a free entry - sweet! Works best for smaller races, but it never hurts to try (I'm sure Chicago Marathon would laugh in our face - ha). I'll be rooting for you no matter what you do, though...I hope it's one fantastic year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like 2011 was awesome! Here's to a wonderful 2012 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow our 2012 goals ARE similar! I didn't even put it in my goal post, but I've toyed with the idea of another full this year, too, and sub-5 would also be my goal.

    ROCK ON BABY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for the gift! you are so thoughtful and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The 5 hour marathon is in.the.bag. I'm not even questioning it. You've gotten SO MUCH STRONGER this year. And you're one of the mentally strongest women I know.

    I wish I was doing Grandma's with you. If I could afford to fly out I would run that 4:50 with you, though, I'm *kinda* a PITA and would make you crazy with the Cowbell references by mile 22...

    ReplyDelete
  24. 2011 was a great year for you! That is so impressive all that you were able to achieve. I can't wait to see what 2012 will hold!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Re your goal: reorganize & maintain a clean house... Check out www.flylady.net ... Awesome support & organizational skills...and FLY stands for "finally loving yourself"...advocates baby steps...15 minutes at a time, and more...

    ReplyDelete