Monday, October 17, 2011

Running For Fun

This morning I ran 6 of the best miles in forever. I felt AMAZING. Last week I ran 5.5 gorgeous miles on the trail Wednesday. It was a stunning mid-October day and I wore a tank and was almost hot but not quite. And between those 2 runs?

NOTHING.

And I'm so not stressed about it, and I can't tell you how much I'm LOVING that feeling. If I go out and feel like shit, I can bail after 3 miles and who cares!? If I feel spectacular, I can run as long as I want and as fast as I want. Today, my average pace was 9:55 minute miles! THAT IS WAY FAST FOR ME.

So instead of running, I've been giving back to my family. They sacrifice for my training more than they should, even if they don't see it as such. It was nice to hang with them all weekend, and not worry about when I was going to get a long run in.

So I guess you could say I like this laid back approach.

BUT! Unlike last year, I still have a goal to meet. Which means I can't just stop running regularly. Last October I logged 53 miles. Only 11.64 were post 10/10/10 (Chicago marathon). I ran 23 in November and 10(!!!) in December. This year, so far, I've run 810 miles. Which means I still need to run close to 20 miles a week to break 1000 for 2011. I AM going to do that. But it's going to be more fun and less work. :)


I have been enjoying dinner (and WINE!) with friends, without worrying about being out too late or eating the wrong thing.

There's been a way lot of volleyball happening. Unfortunately, their season ended with a disappointing showing at the conference tournament, but I'm super proud of how they progressed this year.


I got to go with James on a school field trip (yay for youngest kid - I could never do this before!) to the Chicago Botanic Gardens last Friday. It was a beautiful day and we had a lot of fun.
And yesterday we finally made it to Fright Fest at 6 Flags - we had a great day, and came home to venison chili in the crock pot. We watched a fantastic Bears game. It was perfect.

And finally, 2 decent pictures from TCM. The first is significant, since it is my VERY FIRST official race photo with air. I tend to look like I'm walking. The second is just past their giant inflatable "you're running through the wall." Mile 22 I think? I'm smiling!

14 comments:

  1. Great! I love seeing when people actually enjoy their running. Training can be so serious, it's good to pull away and put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this for myself soon too! I'm getting kind of burned out always training for something.

    I'm glad you're back to running for fun again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent TCM pics - and James looks like he may be a track star in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these years, I'm going to hit 1000 miles! That is so awesome. I know you can do it! (I'm totally cheering for you! Woo!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! All of them, but in particular the marathon ones, because I never like mine...and I always look like I'm walking, too.

    I think we're hitting fright fest at our Six Flags next weekend. And yea for running for fun. Such a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am happy you are enjoying running! Maybe the pressure of having marathons is what made you feel kind of meh about it this summer? Or yeah, the heat. :) It's so nice and cool now!

    Love the race pics! Are you going to order them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woot for race pics with air. Mine are notoriously with eyes closed and tongue out.
    I'm so glad you are relaxing and enjoying. One of the best parts of marathon training: having it DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great race photos! I've never gotten one that makes me look faster than "old lady shuffle."

    Which, come to think of it, is pretty accurate actually...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are great! I have been having a hard time getting motivated to run again. Yesterday I walked. In the past, when I was a real runner, that would have made me mad. This time I just let it be and figured next time I would run. I guess that surgery that forced me to stop running so much was good for something, at least now when I run (or try to) I put much less pressure on myself. Sounds like you needed to be easier on yourself for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wall pic is great! Yippee! I have been running for fun too, and it is cool. I love the training, but you fall in love again with running with the easy, fun, enjoyable runs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to hear after a big race, when runners stop training and spend more time with the family, they sacrifice alot for our hobby, more then we will ever really know, giving thanks back is the best thing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving all the pictures, you look fantastic!!!

    I think the body needs a little rest after a big race, you will get in the miles when you need to to reach your goal but for now, enjoy the laid-backness!! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are great race photos!! I want great photos, my most recent are the worst ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great race pics!
    first one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete