Today I did something I've never done before in all my nearly 44 years.
I ran on a treadmill.
It was honestly harder than I expected it to be. At first, I was going so slowly that the mill told me I was basically walking. My stride was so short tho that I felt like I was running fast! I got nervous, thinking it'd take me a gajillion years to run a few stupid miles on this hamster wheel!
After a couple minutes, I relaxed a little. I realized that there was plenty of room behind me, and I lengthened out my stride. I started bumping up the speed a little at a time, until finally I was at my average pace.
But oh boy, did I feel like I was WORKING to maintain it! And also, I felt almost like you do running a technical trail - I was concentrating SO HARD on staying in the middle and placing my feet so I didn't trip up and fly off the back.
Now I understand why people say that it's tough. I couldn't ever just go - each step was measured and deliberate.
So, yes I am glad I have the option, but I don't think I'll ever become that runner who loves running in place more than running outside....
Yep yep yep! You know I have the same issues with it! I can't believe Steven and I trained mostly for WI 2009 on ours! I think we could both (you and I) get used to them IF we wanted to. IF.
ReplyDeleteSuch a fab surprise to see your blog pop up in my feed again; just played catch up so all up to speed again.
ReplyDeleteWord of advice:
Don't fart on the treadmill … theres no running away from it ;-)
I have become more accustomed to it but it is always more work for me to maintain my normal pace. It's a nice option to have but I couldn't do it year round. And you rock.
ReplyDeleteI try not to dread mill it, but I have found it to be a useful tool. I can kick up the pace for a half mile for example and run faster than I would outdoors. It is boring though.
ReplyDeleteI've only run half a dozen times on a treadmill, but it feels like it takes FOREVER. Plus if I fart, which I pretty much always do, I have to run in a cloud. Yuck. TMI, hahaha. :)
ReplyDeleteI am so happy that you are blogging again! You have really been missed!!!
ReplyDeleteCompletely agree with you on the treadmill. I generally only use it when I'm truly desperate. And even then, I try to distract myself as much as I can while I'm on it. TV on closed captioning plus listening to music and trying to look out the window/people watch, all at the same time? You better believe it!!! ;-)
It generally takes me about a week to get comfortable on the treadmill again (in winter) and then it feels normal. I still like outside more, but it's doable, especially for a season (and bc I don't do ice and super cold). It's also good for working on speed.
ReplyDeleteIt generally takes me about a week to get comfortable on the treadmill again (in winter) and then it feels normal. I still like outside more, but it's doable, especially for a season (and bc I don't do ice and super cold). It's also good for working on speed.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you've been running and training for this long and have never run on a mill! lol That blows my mind. I hate the mill and all, but it's been a lifesaver a few times.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first winter I've consistently run on a treadmill (about 50% of my runs). However, once the trails near the gym were clear of snow/ice I have not run on it again and am now at 0%. I'd much rather run outdoors!
ReplyDeleteRunning outside is definitely the best! I used the treadmill this winter and was glad to unplug it once the weather became nicer!
ReplyDelete