Wednesday, February 18, 2015

New Beginings

I quit my job today.

It seems weird to say, since it took me working regular hours for nearly six months before I actually felt like I had a "job" again, for real. Like I wasn't just faking it.

But my husband just got a new job with an hour long commute, and we decided that at least in the beginning, it would help a lot if I were not a slave to a schedule outside the home too. And while it helped a little, my job wasn't bringing in loads of cash for us, so the choice was a pretty easy one.

On one hand, I am really excited to have all my time wide open again, and to hang out with my kids this summer, and to run whenever I want.

But at the same time, I am going to miss that part of having a job that makes you feel like a productive member of a family again. I am hopeful that by being available for my kids, I WILL feel productive, albeit not in a monetary way. And soon, very soon, my kids will be old enough that I can have a job again in my chosen field. I MISS lab work. I miss it a lot. And I am excited about the prospect of getting back in a lab again, even if I need to start at the very bottom.

I have 3 month of working left - I'll work through May. And then?

Sky's the limit, I guess!

3 comments:

  1. After working decades, I would love to stop and breathe. I think it's important. Glad you have the chance to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! When we first made the decision to be a one paycheck family, it bugged me a little that I wasn't contributing in a monetary way, but I figured out a way to feel like I'm pulling my weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're in a position you can choose to be home, good for you!!

    Looks like you now have lots of marathon training time just for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete