Monday, April 8, 2013

Race Report: Shamrock Shuffle 8k

Yesterday, I got the chance to run the Shamrock Shuffle 8k for the first time. I am openly not a fan of gigantic city races, so this one (while it looks fun) has never even been on my radar. But the Essential Fitness Multisport Club (YES I belong to a multisport club - DON'T LAUGH. Maybe someday I'll get on a bike. No really - it *could* happen!) put together a team, so I decided to run.

Being the year to "run all the new distances" this fit right into my plans. I've never before raced an 8k. And what a way to kick off the April "Birthday Month Of Running All The Races."

For me, the clincher was that I didn't have to drive into the city for packet pickup, and I didn't have to drive myself into the city race morning, since we all rode together. Easy!

Getting into the city was a breeze, and it was fun chatting the morning away with my friends. We parked, got our bibs situated, and made our way to gear check and our corrals.
we are a good looking crew!

we got special bibs with our team name. it was super fun reading others while running
Then we waited in the gigantic clusterfuck all trying to get into the corrals. At 8:06 we were in this huge throng of people. The problem was, no one was moving! The corral gate was right in front of us, but we couldn't get to it! This would have been no big deal in a normal race - race time, after all, was 8:30. But in the biggest 8k in the world? Yeah, they close the corrals at 8:15. As in, WHILE WE ARE ALL STANDING THERE TRYING TO GET IN. Are you effin' kidding me?

We pushed forward anyway - it was close to riot status. The poor dude with the megaphone was trying really hard to calm people down. And he was taking a helluva lot of abuse. I was feeling a little bad for him, until he yelled out (in his megaphone, for all to hear), " Don't call me an asshole!!!"

Then? Then I was laughing too hard at him to feel bad for him.

So we made it through, only to find that they DID in fact close the second set of gates. It was hop the fence or hoof it back to the end of corral E. That was a no brainer. Up and over (I'm sorry I don't have pictures of that part. It was over too quick!) Then it took a few minutes for my heart rate to get back to normal.
quick pre race photo
The actual race went off without a hitch. We were in corral C, so we still had a bit of a wait before we actually started. But once we did, I just cruised. The weather was stunning. PERFECT race weather. And my only goal of the day was to run well. I figured anything with an average pace in the 8s would make me happy. So I settled in around a 9ish pace and worked.

The race for me was perfect. I worked hard, but I felt good. I ran really decent tangents (my Garmin showed 4.99 miles at the end). And I finished strong. What more can you ask for? I felt like I was lined up in exactly the right spot for my pace. As crowded as this race is, I was never weaving around people or annoyed by other runners. It was so smooth...
We managed to find each other after the race (and our team ended up coming in 9th out of 86 teams in the mixed open division!) and even managed to get a photo with the Green Guys!
 
 After that, we headed towards the beer line. We had to get "over 21" bracelets, which required some fancy behind the back moves towards the one of us who forgot her ID. Ahhh, memories of my 19 year old self...
BEER!

my awesome socks turned arm warmers

enjoying the Freddy Jones Band (who rocked!)

Chris enjoying the band
 So, to be honest, I didn't think I'd like this race. And I DON'T think it's a race I'd like to do alone. But with a group of great friends, I had a fantastic time! It's definitely worth it. I even heard later that they were forced to reroute the course because of a bridge jumper DURING THE RACE. And you'd never have known - they managed it seamlessly. So other than the clusterfuck that was getting into corrals, I would recommend it for sure.

And there ends the only April race I'm actually racing! The rest are all trail fun! Can't wait!

(photos from Brian and Chris - thank you!)

33 comments:

  1. Looks like a blast! Gotta love sock arm warmers!

    Definitely looks like it would be a great time with a group...and you know you're going to get on a bike sooner or later!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked super cute Bobbi! Looks like you had a ton of fun and you did awesome!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks fun! I currently have zero desire to do it. It looks like a crazy busy time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent run Bobbi! I'm glad you had fun. Seeded corrals were a cluster at the Chi marathon in 2010 but not last year. One would think they'd have figured that out by now since both races are of similar size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great time! I was probably right by you at the gate to the corrals. I was with some friends and we stood in line for 10+ mins in the slowest moving crowd ever. We got to the gate just as the clock ticked 8:15 and people went into an insane panic and started to push and shove. It was a giant mosh pit and I had a mild panic attack in it, don't handle crowds well. I could not believe how crazy people got! That was not the way I wanted to start my morning...fearing I was going to be stampeded.

    Hope you do it again! Realized this year since I don't live in chitown any longer that these giant races are a bitch to get your packet for and get to on race morn when you are stationed in the burbs. Takes some of the fun away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES to the second paragraph. This is why I avoid city races - it IS a bitch to get there for the packet and a race! Hence the awesomeness of going with a group!

      Delete
  6. This recap cracked me up.

    It took my girlfriend 45 minutes to cross the start line. RIDIC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the race start would have stressed me out completely. I hate crowds at races anyway, and struggle with this. I like to be on the outside of people at the race start (claustrophobia). Yes, I agree that race probably wouldn't be as much fun by yourself. But glad you had a great group to do it with and had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I'm right with you. Claustrophobia city. But with a group of friends it was much less stressful.

      Delete
  8. I'm confused. Why would your 19 yo self have anything to do with beer? Hmm... :P

    What a FABULOUS race! Look at you, Mrs. Speedy! I am proud of you! Wish I could have seen it. I love our MS (um, not THAT MS) group and the gals you went with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. Awesome that you blogged. Awesome time. Awesome arm warmers. Awesome insight. I've always thought of visiting the city for the Shuffle since it's such a fun-looking, bucket list-type run. But then I don't want to travel to run 5 miles. WASTE O TIME. If I had a good group, though, I'd consider it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That's why I'd never run it - the pita factor of city race logistics has never been worth it for such a short distance...

      Delete
  10. What a great race! I didn't know you were running it this year! I was in corral J and it took us 45 minutes to cross the start line. It was a much different feel starting in the back of the pack versus the front. I'm hoping to be back in the front again next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried to get into corral C but didn't make it either before 8:15 - I too standing with that crowd trying to get in. Once they closed it I left the group, people were being kind of dumb imo, and I went over to corral E. I've never missed a corral before, but next year I'll get out there earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome race and great story about getting into your corral! The weather was near perfect and the after-party looks like it was a blast. I am looking forward to running this one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this race but YES, get to the corrals early. Like way early. Same for the Chicago Marathon. I've been shut out of the corral system previously in the CHI Marathon 2010. It was ugly. They sent me (and friends) all the way back by the walkers. I'm now a Nazi about getting the start corrals EARLY.

    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like it was a great time and I'm glad you enjoyed it. What a way to kick off the birthday month!

    Also, what is a bridge jumper? As in someone was trying to jump off the bridge mid race? I'm soooooooooo confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess a man was threatening to jump from one of the bridges on the course (as in a suicide attempt I guess). http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-man-threatening-to-jump-from-bridge-forces-shuffle-in-race-route-20130407,0,2693063.story

      Delete
  15. What an awesome time and run...well, once you got to start that is! You are rocking these runs my lady. I think it is even more impressive given the crowded course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. For the record, I haven't ever met a person who actually considered the Shamrock Shuffle a race. It's more of a tribute to the start of running season (for most people who aren't as hard core as you). Glad you had a fun time! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG did I steal Kim away from running with your group this weekend? I'm an ass!

    So glad you had a fun time, despite the cluster at the beginning. See you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't! I was invited to do this race and chose not to ;)

      Delete
  18. It sounds like you guys had a great time running together. 8K is an interesting distance but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay, I'm glad you had a great time, minus the corral clutserf*ck. I was edging my way through the second gates right at 8:15 as they were starting to close them. They don't mess around!! But I think they need more entries through the gates. Herding all those people through one opening is stupid. Otherwise, awesome race, and I definitely plan to make it a tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woo hoo!!! Sounds like a total blast and yay for your first 8K with such a cute outfit! I've never run the Shamrock either, but I've heard some horror stories about the crowds. Despite the corral mobs, I'm so glad that you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my gosh, i had the SAME corral nonsense for the marathon! Sometimes you just have to charge and hope they are more afraid than you are ;) Glad you enjoyed the shuffle!! (and the post race activities, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must've been in the same area as you were at the same time trying to get into the corrals, because I totally heard the guy with the megaphone getting into the verbal fight with the heckler. That was a little over the top. I think I have the same sentiment--fun race, but the corrals were done terribly. I also think I saw a bunch of people from your multisport club during the race--I definitely remember seeing those shirts. Sounds like you had a great run once you started! Congrats on the solid finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. First of all congrats on the first of your All the races birthday month! :) The corral situation was terrible. You rocked some nice negative split action there! OMG you saw the green guys! I didnt see them at all :(

    Good luck on your race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those green guys were cracking me up! There was one running right by me and then I saw them all together at the post race party. I couldn't believe they had business cards : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great race report...Congrats on a great pace and it definitely sounds like you had a wonderful time with your group :) BTW, I really enjoyed reading your story in Melinda's book! Your progress has been incredibly amazing!

    ReplyDelete