Friday, November 30, 2012

Comfort Zone

I miss this place. But lately I come here and stare at blank white empty space and nothing comes out.

Yesterday I came across this gem on Paulo Coelho's facebook. And it took hold and stirred up my insides and got me thinking again. And today, I'm still thinking about it.


The past 2 years have been amazing gigantic transformative years for me. And coming here to talk about everything, everything new, everything I was afraid of, seemed natural and right.

But somehow, at the end of another magnificent year, I've been at a loss for words. Granted, this time of year is a wistful, melancholy, introspective time of year for me. Not sad, exactly, although sometimes it manifests itself in a really cranky way (to my family at least) but rather thoughtful. It's as if I fall into my own head and can't get out. Until I saw this quote, and I knew.

I'm comfortable. That posse of runners (that I SO envied of other runners and writers), well I HAVE that now. Distances don't intimidate me in their own right - I know I can cover them. How well is another story, but I'm not afraid of miles anymore. I've run farther than I've ever run this year, all without a SINGLE injury. I'm enjoying the hell out of myself, really.

SO now what? 2013 is looming, and I am not really sure what to chase.

But that is not the purpose of a boat.

There are things I DO know, sure. I know that a marathon is not in the cards for 2013. I know that I can break 2 hours in a half, because, oops - I already did that. I know that I'll continue running with the amazing group I've come to know and love and rely on.

So I'm on a quest for new ways to break out of my comfort zone. To sail my boat right out of the safety of the harbor. Part of this will come when I rejoin the ranks of the paid employees. But how to do that in my running world remains unclear.

I WILL volunteer at a race or races this year. So there's that.

Any other suggestions for me? That don't involve bikes? How do YOU break out of your comfort zone?

26 comments:

  1. I love that quote! I was thinking along the same lines. I feel like in the last few years I've proved to myself that I can run and now I am ready to mix it up a bit. Push the envelope. My 2013 will hopefully involve more trail, different terrain and quirky races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent quote about the boat and the harbor. I usually break out of my comfort zone when I learn about something that sounds interesting/different and then get up the nerve to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Bobbi!! As you know from my last post, I got into this place of contentment with what I was doing the past year because it became so easy ... and when life's throwing you lemons, this just seemed the best way to handle it. But I'm not happy right now with that and I want to step out of the comfort zone and see if I have any of my old grit left in me. Maybe you can challenge yourself running in other ways next year. A faster marathon. Faster half. Longer distance .. a 50k, or some trail racing. Trails have such a different feel than the road - a more calming and peaceful zen to them. I remember coming off of my first BQ race, Pikes Peak and Big Sur - all in the same year and got really really down because I was like, "What now?? I've done it all!!" But oh dear lord, that was just the beginning. There's so much you can do. Sooo much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. luckily for me, i find myself outside of my comfort zone on a daily basis.... :) you should try some crazy sport, like hula hooping. Then, you could eventually run a sub two half marathon while hula hooping - i feel like that has not been done yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great quote, and kind of how I try to live my athletic life.

    Ditto Jill on the trail races, since you took away my bike suggestion. :)

    I break out of my comfort zone by doing things that are new, or scary...or a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really thought-provoking post, Bobbi. It's so easy to settle into the harbor that we forget there are huge oceans to explore and conquer. You've left me thinking ... and I'm excited for what next year has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to feel a little like this, but then I realized, I don't need to chase anything. That I can learn to do new things, but it doesn't have to be about times, or records or anything, just enjoyment. I am getting into long distance hiking (like 230 miles at a time) and that has revitalized me. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have taken up the cause of learning to live with gratitude, look at every opportunity that comes my way as a positive thing, and be more introspective about things. This is what has changed for me the last few months absolutely. I will start running again next year because I enjoy the feeling after I've finished--and how you can improve with every run. I think you should look into other ways to use your running for fun--and the volunteer thing is a great idea! How about taking a few classes on crafts, home repair, or anything that you want to try but are timid to try?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the picture of the boat and the harbor. For me, the biggest way I am trying to break out of the harbor is to do speedwork (which I hate). But I've also been very focused on self-improvement in other areas - trying to dress better, trying to be better about taking the initiative to reach out to friends and family, experimenting with cooking, and just plain out giving myself more time to reflect. I can't wait to hear what 2013 has in store for you, it's going to be a great year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we need to go scale Mt. Kilimanjaro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Marcia...Kili is totally on my bucket list.

    You can always look to drop your PR's but to really get outside of your comfort zone try something you don't like. For me that would be swimming. Yuck. But I'm not taking that road...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with others, maybe just change up the terrain. Trail races can be a huge challenge (or so I've heard). I've only ever done a trail 5k.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that quote! I too, am looking for something to get excited about in 2013, to get me out of my comfort zone.... something NEW and scary!! I'm excited to see what is in store for you. I know it will be interesting and inspiring to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, why did you give me the bike limitation? Hee hee. The water reference makes me think swimming. Or maybe some crazy strength stuff. And what about doing some different distances, like you wanted? Or a monthly mileage challenge? Or a states run in challenge? Or the NYC destination race goal? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Marcia's suggestion :)
    I totally get that, as I am always searching for the next challenge. As you know, right now, mine is towards a half-marathon PR. But, also, I will talk about this more on my blog soon, but as a family, we have registered for a winter pentathlon (each of us will do one of the five sports) and mine is snowshoe running (I've never done this and I'm definitely stepping outside my comfort zone)! I know that you will find what you are looking for...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post, even more reading it the second (and third and maybe a fourth) time. I think there can be something to chase but I just read someone write about the bliss that is running free. It is such an amazing idea or place to aspire to.

    I'm hoping to do things in 2013 that will be outside my comfort zone, professionally mostly. Fingers crossed. Athletically, I'm not sure I have suggestions. I like the idea of trail races and climbing. As for me, I am chasing down pre-baby PRs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for joining the challenge. I'll add you to my list! There is a tracker spreadsheet on my blog. I'll get you added shortly so you can track your mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I second the trail running. That seems to be so much fun and I have yet to hear anyone say they didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love this post...sorry I missed it earlier after the week I've had. Maybe swimming or trail running?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the quote..very thoughtful and inspiring!! Im joining the hockey team next month after years of free running..it will be a different ball game altogether.

    Tribulus Terrestris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey lady! I nominated you for a Liebster award-details on my blog! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Getting out of that comfort zone means new challenges. If not in distance, maybe in race time, or in a different aspect of adventure. Perhaps trails, or pacing a friend to a new PR?

    Sounds like you accomplished a lot this year!

    What a wonderful quote.
    Glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blog already love! Miss you! Just posted, added you to my Leibster award nomination!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. where oh where is my buddy, bobbi?!!!! :'(((

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! You've won something on my blog -- please check it out and send me your contact info. Congrats, and thanks for following my journey!!
    Please note in your email: MED CITY MARATHON ENTRY
    runningdivamom at yahoo dot com
    www.runningdivamom.com

    ReplyDelete