Friday, July 15, 2011

So. Freaking. Behind.

So. I was officially without power from 8am Monday until 2pm Thursday. I was JUST starting to recover from the impromptu Minnesota visit for my Grandmother's service, so to say I'm a bit behind now is the understatement of the century.

I don't even know where to start.

Last Saturday was our semi-annual trek to the dentist. We still go where we used to live, so we all go on a Saturday morning and take over her office, which is about an hour and a half away. It was monumental that day, since James sat for his ENTIRE cleaning without hardly even fussing. I was over the moon! After that we met some old friends for a picnic in the park, and then all went for ice cream. It was an exhausting but SUPER fun day.







I had a lovely spur of the moment long run on Sunday. I wasn't even going to run (I totally thought I deserved a day to sleep in for once), but Kim tested me at 9:30 the night before asking me if I wanted to go. My husband laughed at me as I argued with myself (yes - out loud!) and texted her back saying I was in. For 9 miles. I hadn't run more than 6 since the marathon, and I'd eaten NOT like I was running long that day, so I had no clue how it'd go.

We met at 6am, since it was supposed to be a hot one, and it was so nice to chat with her. It'd have been even nicer if my stomach had decided to behave, but oh well. It was to be expected. I walked often the last 3 miles to avoid any unfortunate accidents, but it all ended up OK. Kim is always patient with me, thank goodness. It was a fun run, and I was home before anyone in my house was even awake. LOVED that. I spent the rest of the day in the pool. LOVED that too.

Then, Monday morning, the storm blew through. It was a scary, super quick storm, that turned my backyard upside down, picked up my huge gas grill, and tossed it on it's head 6 feet away like it was nothing. The power went out. Jack was screaming that it was a tornado, and I had to talk him down off the ledge. Trees and branches blew everywhere. After a couple hours, we bailed and went up to see my Dad. When we came back, John's Dad was busy hooking up our generator.

So basically, it was 4 days with no power. Monday sucked since it was 90 degrees outside. BUT. We had the food under control. Tuesday it cooled off beautifully, so much that we opened all the windows and went to the zoo. Wednesday night, I actually SHUT windows because I was cold (!!!). Other than everything getting dark at 9pm, and not being able to do laundry, we were fine. Sure it was a pain, but it could have been SO much worse. Some of my friends are still powerless. Our neighbors on both sides have huge trees in their yards. We are all just fine. It was in the grand scheme of things, a minor inconvenience.

But I'm REALLY behind. Time to catch up!

10 comments:

  1. Bobbi! You got the storm that blew through Eastern Iowa at 5 AM that morning. My manager lives in a small town that still has no power--the town lost about 50% of their trees--many very old. Just about every house in that town was damaged. They had straight line winds at 110 mph! It's incredible. I was very lucky--Cedar Rapids lost power for a little bit, and there were lots of branches all over, but nothing major.

    Hope you catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't get a lot of storms in Portland, and I occasionally miss a good thunder storm (there's nothing like the way the air feels/cools off after a storm on a hot summer evening), but then, when I read stories like this, I miss it a little less!

    I'm glad everyone is okay & that you have power again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I thought you were part of that big storm up north! I'm glad you have power now. It was bad down here but we only lost power for a bit. You never realize how much you like electricity til it's gone. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your power is back on, although that probably just means you have even more stuff to do to catch up.

    Your family is adorable! I didn't realize you had four kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo glad to hear you finally have power again. You guys seem to be getting the worst of all the storms lately

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you came out of the storm (mostly) unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! Glad you're all safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a crazy week you have had! At least it started out with something really fun (spending the day with your friends!) before the craziness hit. I hope this week is less crazy, even though we are going to have those crazy high temps!

    Thanks for doing my long runs with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh, no power and 90 degrees?! And kids! God bless you :) What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete