I started this blog almost a year ago, and have nearly 100 posts. When I first started, I was using it as a means to document my journey to my first marathon, and as yet another way to hold myself accountable to the work required to cross that finish line.
What you probably don't know though, is that this isn't my first attempt at blogging. I've been reading blogs for as long as I had a computer. Blogs saved my sanity regularly as a new parent. It was so comforting to hop on the computer and reassure myself that I was NOT insane and that I was NOT doing it all wrong. So I started a parenting blog. It was short lived though - I rarely received comments, and I wasn't sure anyone was actually reading, so I lost my motivation to post.
Fast forward a few years to this incarnation of "Bobbi's Random Musings." I'm not sure what's changed - maybe I comment more than I did before. Maybe I just found a niche that was more suited to ME. I don't know. But I'm floored that people not only read, but take the time to comment and ask questions. And 76 people actually follow! It is humbling. And I love it.
So welcome to new readers! And thank you all for your kind comments on my last post. Everything so far is working out swimmingly with my BIL. He's awesome. To answer a couple questions from the last post: Kate was wondering if I am an IL girl. YES! I live about halfway in between Chicago and Milwaukee, but on the IL side. I've lived in the Chicago 'burbs for almost 20 years. But I am a MN girl, born and raised, and part of me always feels at home the instant I cross the border into Minnesota. So that is why I am doing 2 MN marathons this year. Carly, RoseRunner, and Karen were wondering about my upcoming marathons: I am running Grandma's in Duluth, MN on June 18, and I am running the Twin Cities on October 2. As I mentioned in my last post, training starts on Monday, and I'm beyond stoked for it all to begin.
Question for you - how do you all handle responding to comments and questions from readers? I'm never sure if I should answer in the comments section? Sometimes I respond on the asker's blog. I'd email directly, but the comment doesn't always allow a reply. Someday, I'll figure it out... ;)
Thanks again for hanging with me, and have a GREAT weekend! I'll be hanging with my new running peeps, and running around to a gajillion basketball games, as it is a tournament weekend. Later!
Bobbi, I usually just add a comment to my posting when other people have commented. I wish the email thing was a bit easier to use. Great for you having so many followers! Good luck on the marathon training.
ReplyDeleteI usually leave a comment on the asker's blog too. I know when I ask a question, I usually forget to go back later and see if it's been answered, so I appreciate it when they answer me in my comments.
ReplyDelete1st I love basketball, my sport of choice.
ReplyDelete2nd Your blog is great
3rd--3 of my friends are running the Grandma's marathon so that automatically makes it a great one! Good luck with the training.
comments? Sometimes I respond in the comments section and sometimes I make a post about some of the questions. What I really want to do is put in a gadget where I can answer individual comments. I know it's out there but I would probably have to pay someone to design that for me. lol and i'm frugal aka cheap right now.
ReplyDeleteyeah. i'm new to the blogging thing, and don't know how to back-n-forth with someone on comments... how would they even know i put a response on the comments? hmmmmm.......
ReplyDeletenow u have 77!
ReplyDeleteAww, I am not surprised you have so many followers! You are so fun and real and I love your blog!
ReplyDeleteI reply on my blog and send emails. I rarely remember to look back on blogs for responses. I know blogger doesn't show emails though, so it's hard for people using that platform to respond.
Yay! I am excited for both of you MN races. Maybe our paths will cross. I will either be running Grandma's Half(If I get in) or volunteering at the finish line, and I am running TCM. It would be fun to meet you!
ReplyDeleteHey, I'm close to where you live this weekend! We're in Chicago for a volleyball tournament.
ReplyDeleteMy comment back method is usually a combination. If it's a question that adds to conversation to my blog, I'll comment back on my blog, but I usually email back or post it on their blog, too.
In regards to the questions if the commenter has an e-mail attached to the comment I respond that way. Though I have seen some people do the question/answer blog post.
ReplyDeleteGlad you've stuck with the blogging this time around!
I always enjoy reading your blog. Congrats on making it a year! I just had mine last week. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI never go back and read comments after I leave a comment so I rarely ever know what the follow up is; though I think you can subscribe to follow up comments. I just can't have that much email :). You gotta set up blogger to allow you to reply with an email...otherwise you can't. It'll so confusing - blah!
ReplyDeleteHappy Blogversary!!! :)
You. Are. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteSo happy to follow you.
Wishing
You
Many
Posts
To
Come!