Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Brain Dump

1. My husband came home the other day with a new insulated travel coffee mug. It's name? Bubba. Seriously. The thing is HUGE. He used to take a cup of coffee in the morning leaving me the rest of the pot. Now he takes Bubba leaving me with half a pot. I am torn between letting this new development help me reduce my caffeine intake or just making myself ANOTHER POT. So far laziness is winning. YAY LAZINESS.

2. On Tuesday, I watched the Biggest Loser marathon episode. I am a huge fan of the show, and the marathon show is always a highlight for me. This year Ada broke the show's record for the women, and they even showed a potty stop. (My beef with the marathon episode is that they never show any of the "unfortunate realities" in running, so this was a plus for me). But I came away from it slightly sad that 3 out of 4 contestants, all of whom were morbidly obese just a few short months ago, finished with better times than mine. Ridiculous I know, but motivating all the same. I CAN do better.

3. Basement mud and tape? CHECK! I July it looked like this...

and...

By the end of July, it looked more like this...

But then it took 4 months to get all the drywall hung - that little stuff at the end takes forever, especially when you're fitting it in around regular life plus marathon training plus kids' school and sports. But FINALLY it looks like this:

This will be Jenna's room and bathroom....


Next up? A whole lotta PAINT!!!!

4. With the projects happening at my house, and because we won't be home for the holidays, I am foregoing most of my usual Christmas decorating. Not that I could find anything if I wanted to! BUT, we did put up a tiny tree, and the kids had a great time decorating on Wednesday.


5. I am drowning in a sea of unmotivation. This time of year I'd rather hibernate than exercise. It's been too cold (wind chills below zero) to run in the morning and our schedule hasn't allowed me to run in the evening, So I'll have to run today, tomorrow, and Sunday to get 3 runs in this week. I AM running today, but we are expecting a boatload of snow over the weekend, so I will have to swap out the elliptical in favor of killing myself outside.

I'm hoping that there is an end in sight for me. Wednesday next week, I go in for James' IEP meeting at school. If he gets into the program they recommend, I'll have mornings free come January. I've found a relatively inexpensive gym that is nice and is local, so I'm planning on joining that for January and February (no long term contract required!!) so I'm ready to go with a good base of fitness before I officially start marathon training again.

Now on to survive December! I have a ton on my to-do list before we are ready for VACATION! I can't tell you how excited I am to experience Disney through the eyes of my kids...

18 comments:

  1. the marathon episode depressed me that she did better than me. ah well. that's motivation to train better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The contestants on TBL have the benefit of having been trainer by professional trainers for what, 3 months prior to that marathon. Trainers who could focus on them! Don't think your times are terrible in comparison. They also have "pacers"/camera crew/friends along the way to keep them moving forward. Make a BIG difference!

    I love the home improvement photos! It reminds me of when we did our basement. It was so much fun!

    I have been tring to lose weight and simply can NOT. The only difference in my diet is the coffee. I used to drink half a cup maybe 4 days a week now I drink an entire cup (18oz) almost every day. I wonder if the caffiene is the problem??

    Have a super weekend!

    and the year streak, has crossed my mind...in moments of insanity! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh the bubba cup. hilarious. My hubby has one. I must post about it [no joke] is called "the rock".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the "marathon" part of BL. I am very proud of all them but if I (you) had the support crew that they did I bet that we both would have done better. When Ada took her bathroom break did you see the medic there with a cold towel and water bottle. Man, that would be nice to just have a "pit crew" running right next to you (especially in the crazy Chicago heat this year) . Oh well. We are marathon runners too!!!! We did it all on our own, with no live in trainers. Dont second guess yourself one bit ( I know easier said than done) - but you did an AMAZING JOB!!!!

    Have a fun time in Disney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey when are you going to Disney? We are too!
    Love the Christmas pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we're not going until 2/20. Disney cruise first. trying to see if I can coax the Caveman to stay until after the Princess 1/2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same lack of motivation...it's that time of year. You'll come roaring back after Christmas. It's all I can do to get through work and come home and sink into the couch for the rest of the night.

    We're supposed to get ice tomorrow; guess it's turning in to snow when it hits Illinois!

    ReplyDelete
  8. December is the worst for running all you do is just get out there and before you know it we are back to spring again

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm unmotivated in this cold weather too but with marathon training looming, I'm ready to get back to work. I guess a lot of it will just have to be on the treadmill until it warms back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the BL marathon episode! i should watch it tonight. i've been out of the BL loop all year, since discovering glee. =) and yes, they always beat my time by more than an hour. lame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, same thoughts for me and the marathoners and times.. I guess if I had months to dedicate only to fitness and running I could get those times but alas "mother duty" calls. So excited you are heading to Disney! You are going to love it! Sorry it is so bloody cold there, I guess I shouldn't tell you it was 80 degrees in AZ today and I was dying of heat stroke... Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. unmotivation is such a terrible word ... I wish I could help you out, but if you aren't motivated to run ... go on a holiday from running ... don't fight it ... you can't be motivated all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't even tell me about the marathon times, I will probably weep. Like the others have said, you are a mommy, runner and so many other things. The ONLY thing those contestants do when they are training is that. Train. How fast would WE be if that were the case? I'd probably qualify for Boston before I died. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If ALL you had to do was lose weight and get trained all day, I bet you would be much faster at marathons too. They don't have real life interfering with everything! Think about what you could accomplish with no distractions! I can't even imagine.

    Your kids are beautiful! Disney is going to be so cool. I had the best time watching my kids reactions to things. So cool!

    Your basement looks really big. That is going to be great for you when it is done! We have one basement finished and it is great but I'd love to have the other one done too. (My house is strangely set up, I'm not sure you saw when you were here). I would have to clean up the basement before we could finish it though and I just don't seem to have the time/energy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with what everyone else has already said, those contestants have the benefit of just training. We all have life to worry about. Have fun in Disney, your kids look like they are at the perfect ages to really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your basement is looking good!!
    The Disney cruise would be a lot of fun, jealous!!!

    Did you send your holiday blog buddy gift exchange out yet????? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Basement is coming together nicely. I hear you on how unmotivating these cold temps are. It's so hard to even go outside! Have a great time in Disney!

    ReplyDelete