Thursday, June 3, 2010

did you run on National Running Day?

As most of you who haunt running blogs as much as I do are aware, yesterday was National Running Day. To me, it will be forever remembered as "The Day I Finally Felt Like A Runner."

I read a lot of blogs. As many as I can find! I don't always comment, mostly because I have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to my running - the people I read are FIERCE. They run FAST. Never mind that most of them have been doing this way longer than I have, they are all so GOOD at this. Most days, I feel like a wannabe at best, old high school insecurity getting the best of me again. I forget that running isn't about anyone but me.

I had committed to 5 miles, and I was looking forward to those miles more than usual. Much to my dismay, when the alarm went off at 4:45, it was thundering and lightening in the middle of a torrential downpour. Boo! I laid there in bed, willing it to calm down enough so that I could get my miles in, but by the time it did, I was smack in the middle of breakfast and school lunches. I was so irritated!!

Monday I ran 2 painful miles in the heat, and then I called it quits, so I KNEW that I really wanted to smash my miles in later, but I also knew that I wanted to avoid running in the heat if possible. I stalked the weather all day (I am obsessed!) looking for my best opportunity.

The older 2 kids got home from school, and then all 4 of them proceeded to get on every last nerve I had left. I was CRANKY. I sent them all to play far far away from me, my husband came home, and we had spaghetti for dinner. I didn't eat very much, still thinking about my run. As a matter of fact, I spent the whole darn DAY thinking about my run.

I checked the weather again (loser!) and snuck out at about 7. There was another storm heading in, but I thought I could beat it. The weather was GLORIOUS! Cool, and breezy and cloudy, and the first 2 miles flew by. I was sore leaving (thanks, Jillian, for kicking my ass), and my legs were heavy, but I wasn't paying attention to them. I was RUNNING! 3 miles came and went, and I still was feeling good. I was trucking along my normal route, and I headed north and looked at the sky. Wow! It was dark and ominous. For a second, I considered cutting my run short, but quickly dismissed that idea. No way was a storm going to stop me!

So instead of quitting, I just ran faster! I was too busy wondering about the weather to pay attention to the fact that I just don't run this fast - well, fast for ME anyhow. I was running at a 10 minute pace for a while, and started to run out of gas, but I just pushed on. I was almost done now! I finished my 5 miles in 55:55. I walked the circle in front of my house as a cool down, and when I got to the end, the raindrops started. I gave myself a mental pat on the back for shoehorning the perfect run in, and headed inside.

My kids were excited to see me before they headed to bed. My oldest daughter asked immediately how far I went (she always holds me accountable - LOVE that) and the younger 3 got sweaty hugs. I got them all settled and sat down to stretch, and it hit me. I was a runner!

Not just because I pushed through when I felt like quitting.

Not just because my family believed it about me all along.

Not just because I got my run in even when the original plan fell apart.

But because it MAKES ME HAPPY!

I sat there with a satisfied silly grin on my face. I was happy! I felt great (sore, but great)! I didn't stop smiling for a while. My husband thought I was loony. Then again, he usually thinks that.

I'm a runner.

(completely off topic - I just found out that my sister and her family are flying in from Texas for my marathon! WAHOO!!!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment