Friday, December 16, 2011

Made It (mostly) Through....

Well, I managed my way out of this week, for the most part. I'm glad to have it as a memory now.

Tuesday I managed a 7.4 mile trail run. I knew I'd need it to make it through the rest of the week.

Julia's Christmas program was the sweetest thing. She looked beautiful, proudly sporting her new 'do. I was (of course) super proud of her, and despite being REALLY nervous, she did beautifully.
I wish I could say I enjoyed the rest of the show, but truthfully, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention. James has had a rough month, and has been fighting a cold. Add that to his normal personality, and it was a rough go. I spent the majority of the time trying to keep him from having an outburst, getting kicked, getting stepped on, bla bla bla. But we made it til the end. Barely.

The next day, we had Jack's winter band concert. I was looking forward to this - he really is getting good! I was anxious to see him perform.
In hind sight, I should have known better. I should have done it SO differently. We got a decent seat, but were smashed on bleachers. The warm up is always excruciatingly dissonant. The lady directly in front of us had no regard for people behind her. The chaos of the room left James anxious and volatile. We had 15 minutes of warm up to go, and he was already in full on melt down mode. So I took him out.

I wish I could say that I calmed him down and we made it back inside in time to see Jack play, but that wasn't the way of things. Sometimes autism fucking sucks. I spent the concert in the van, crying. James was happy to wait for the performance to be over. I didn't get to see any of it.

But. Jack did extremely well, and the concert was a success without me. We got home, got the kids in bed, and instead of running (which is what I SHOULD have done) I busted out french onion dip and pretzels and stared at the TV. Not my finest moment, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time.

Yesterday, I woke up with another crazy morning ahead of me. Everyone was tired. We had to get to James' school early for his IEP review. James woke up PISSED off. *sigh*

But once he got all that out of his system, we had a great meeting with his teacher and therapists. He is doing beautifully, and they are starting to prep him for kindergarten. I'm really proud of how far he's come, and thankful for a system that is working for him, despite the difficulty of the last weeks.

I left him at school, came home, and got a call from my friend Sarah - could I run? HELL YES. It was 47 degrees and I wore a skirt and a long sleeved tee. I froze my ass off the first mile (damn it was windy!) but I didn't care. 4 miles later and I was a new person. It was Sarah's birthday the day before, so she shared some of her cake with me. I ate it for lunch. Don't judge.

I'm really behind on Christmas shopping, but hoping to finish this weekend. The tough stuff is behind me, and the fun stuff coming up. Can't wait!

(oh, and only 32 miles to go!!)

17 comments:

  1. As a new follower, I haven't read many of your posts, but this post was remarkable - real and honest with a touch of humor thrown in. I'm even more impressed by what you accomplish having read what it takes to get through a week!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you missed the concert. That does seriously suck. Maybe you could have a little performance at home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7.4 mile trail run sounds fun. I wish I had some trails nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you had to miss the concert! I know you were really looking forward to it. :(

    It sounds like you are having a rough week! I am happy you've had some runs and time with friends thrown in. And I hope next week is more chill! (ha ha, who am I kidding?! The week before Christmas? Chill? With 4 kids?!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart aches for you. It must be incredibly hard to parent a child with autism. And those challenges are infinitely more difficult when you have other children who deserve equal attention (but don't always get it). From the sounds of it, you try to find that balance ... but, it's one of those constantly moving targets and sometimes it's hard to nail it every time. Don't be hard on yourself. You're clearly raising amazing kids who are accomplishing so much - that says a ton about you and your involvement in their lives! BTW, Julia is beautiful - she looks just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness for running at times like this.

    This is such a tough time of year for kids who thrive on routine and order and are then surrounded by the holiday chaos everywhere they go. I'm sorry you had to miss the concert. That stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like that cake was well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry you had to miss the concert, there will be other ones

    ReplyDelete
  9. make those remaining 32 your bitch!
    I love that pic of Julia--stunning! Glad you enjoyed her concert and sorry you missed the band one. Frustrating for sure.
    It was SO hot at THing 1's band concert and there was a little boy climbing all over us doing roundhouse kicks. Could not be over soon enough. I feel ya.
    Cake and french onion dip sound more than reasonable to me. T'is the season after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes a girl just needs some French onion dip! Ain't no shame in that.

    Big hugs to you and I promise something got put in the mail today :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is some week you just survived, kiddos kicking off when you want quiet to be proud of another is so difficult - it would have been dip & pretzels for me too. Well done to Jack & Julia (oh I've just realised your 3 kiddies are all J's as well ;-) my 2 are Jared & Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad I'm not the only one who loves french onion dip and pretzels!

    I am proud of you for continuing to run. I haven't run in two weeks. Uggh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man Bobbi I hate that you missed the concert. Not that I know shit about it, but I would think that would have to be the hardest part of dealing with an autistic kiddo... Having to put so much into him that you miss out on things with the other kiddos. You're an awesome Mom, friend. I admire you! And sometimes we all need a pretzel/french onion dip/tv getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you missed the concert - that does suck!

    BUT - yay! for running! I miss running so much right now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are a freakin' superhero for all the stuff you do as a mommy and still manage to run and share bits of your life with us. I hope to be half as composed as you are when I become a mama.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS- A good cry and some pretzels and dip sounds like a good way to deal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job hon, sorry you are having such a hard time with James lately. I will add extra prayers (and maybe even bake you a chocolate cake to make you feel better) and always just a phone call away! Love u!

    ReplyDelete