Monday, November 14, 2011

This and That

It seems that with the loss of giant looming goals, I've kind of run out of things to say. Weird. It isn't like there's nothing going on around here...

Last week, the crisp Fall air and sunshine were overshadowed by gray and gloom and rain. I didn't manage to run until Friday. When I ran just over 7 miles, where I felt like I could run forever. No walk breaks, AGAIN. Average pace in the 10:30s, and my last mile was the fastest of the day, coming in at 9 something. I think I just might be starting to figure this this out!

On Saturday, I went out for 8 with a new running club member. I started out too fast, and crapped out at the end. But it still felt good - it's been in the 60s! It's crazy. Summer's last push. And with that poorly executed run, I'm learning more about what exactly I need to manage a successful one.

On Sunday, Jenna, my 12yo, wanted to run with me. So we hit the trail on a gorgeous 67 degree afternoon. I started slowish, around a 10:40 pace (my easy cruising pace) and she complained that I was going SO SLOW. I smiled. About a half mile in, she was complaining that her side hurt SO MUCH. Yeah. Take it easy kiddo.

So we walked for a bit, and talked over where she was going wrong. We set out to do some easy 400s, where I made her run super slow. She finished each of those, and we were so close to 2 miles in by the end, SHE wanted to finish it out. So we ran 2 miles (I stopped my watch while we walked) with an overall pace of 11:59. I was really proud of her for letting me push her a little (so not her strong suit - she is her mother's daughter, after all) and for finishing strong.

When we got home, my 6yo wanted to run with me. So we went around the block (0.55 miles) and I cheered her on the whole way. She was whining a ton by the time we finished, but I talked her out of it, and she was so proud of herself. :)

THEN, James, my 4yo wanted in on the action. Now, he has pretty little legs, like I can WALK as fast as he can run. But I was astonished! He ran the whole thing! And when I'd walk (since it was almost easier than running that slow) he would have NONE of it. "RUN, Mommy!" he's admonish me. So freaking cute.

So I ran a 5k with 3 out of my 4 kids this weekend. A highlight, for sure. I love that they want to run with me. I think Jack was actually a bit bummed that he didn't get a turn (he was playing with his friends outside, and cheered for the munchkins as they went by).

When we got all finished, I asked Julia (my 6yo) if she'd like to run a race some day. Her eyes got huge. "Mom! I can't run 26 miles!" she said. I laughed and told her that they had shorter races too. Even ones for just kids. She got all excited about that and ran out of the room to tell her dad...

***

James has been such an up and down kid lately. I think he's reaching a couple turning points. We've had a few successes at the potty (yes, my 4.5yo is still in pull-ups) and he's both excited and terrified by that. He's been doing beautifully in school, most of the time. Amazing progress from last year, really.

But he's still James. Case in point, we went to church yesterday. We've been terrible about making this a priority as a family (mostly BECAUSE of James) but we went. We got half way through Mass, and he pitched a fit because I was SINGING. In CHURCH. He screamed, and I promptly removed him, and when we came back, he pitched a fit because the kneeler was down. Seriously. BUT. This fit was quiet. So he's getting it. Slowly. A lot of that is my fault - once he knows the routine of church better, he will handle it better.

***

I have at least one, maybe 2, Turkey Trots coming up. I'm excited to race a 10k. The first is a trail run (one I did last year) so there will be no racing. But the second one is a road race. I've grown to love the 6ish mile distance, so I'm excited to see if I can execute a race as well as I've executed some of my training runs at that distance. My unofficial 10k PR is 1:01:41. I'd like to come in under an hour. We'll see.

12 comments:

  1. "A day in the life" ;-)

    Its so great that the kids are keen to join you running and enjoying it, I can't wait for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you will be one of those awesome families that runs together! I always think that's so cool. And I am impressed Julia knows a marathon is 26 miles. Many adults don't.

    Happy to hear James is making progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my boys love the kids races
    a lot of my races offer them for free and with medals!
    longest distance so far is 1 miles but my 7 yrs old is now asking to do a 5k.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh bobbi, how awesome you little ones want to run with you. i loved Julia's response... so typical for a 6yo.
    ;-)

    nice post, chica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you all run together! I wish we had a 10K around here soon but I'm going to have to wait until Spring to run my first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find it disconcerting right after a giant goal is accomplished. Now what? It has taken me a few weeks to feel like I have direction after training for 19 weeks and running Chicago. No worries. I have new goals :)

    I love it when my kids want to run with me. I have a Turkey Trot and a Jingle Bell race left for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome you get to run with your kiddos - wish mine were still that age! Now days, mine are pretty busy, but I still get to run with my daughter occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, busy you have been! I love your "5K" with all your kiddos....one day they'll outrun you, like mine did with XC this year, and you'll look back on these special runs together :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bobbi it sounds like you have a lot of goals! We had a Turkey Trot last weekend, but I had to work so I couldn't do it--dang it.

    I'm glad your kids are showing an interest in running. Maybe someday they'll be racing with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so great you got to run with your kiddos! Mine are a bit too little yet - but I eagerly looking forward to when they can do the tot races. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is SO cool you ran with the kids! Way to be a role model! I'm impressed your 12 yo would even take any advice. My 10 yo certainly will not. Maybe someday, one can dream...
    I'm staying close to home and doing the 5k here in LG since I've got bird duty this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh and I'm betting you crush that 10k PR to pieces.

    ReplyDelete